Monday 13 June 2016

Social Media Open Media

When I was working full time in Radio I always made sure I conducted myself professionally wherever I went. I set certain boundaries and I stuck to them. Like everyone in the media industry you need to keep up with social media. I make sure I tweet, and blog and update my Facebook.

Even though I have two Facebook accounts, one for professional (for listeners and clients) and a personal, I never post anything negative about work or former employers on either account. I admit, like 90% of social media users I have posted my share of “rants” on my personal Facebook, but I never singled out a person or specific organization.

Several twitter accounts come with the disclaimer “All tweets are my own and do not reflect on my employer” Even though I’m currently a “Freelance Content Provider” I still like my tweets to reflect on me and my company or future employers. Even with a disclaimer, our on line presence STILL reflects who we are and who we work for.

Statistics say people are now turning to social media by vocalizing their “complaints” to the world rather than complain directly to the company.

I get people have a right to post whatever we want on our private Facebook pages, but is posting a negative review really going to further ourselves?

It’s the same for employment. I’m still amazed at the amount of unprofessionalism that people still post on line….not just social media. 

The internet has become a way people use to “have the last word” or “make their point” It can be therapeutic to write down how you are feeling or how you have been misunderstood or how you have been treated badly. I have written letters to myself on my current situation how I need to improve it. It was hung up on my bulletin board and left for me to read, not posted all over social media and my webpages. There is a fine line between being vindictive and moving on.

Bottom line, what post ANYWHERE reflects who we truly are and once it’s out there, it’s out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment